Monday 14 July 2014

Grike to Lank Rigg - An Isle of Man viewpoint

These unfortunately are among my least favourite Lakeland Fells, down there with Dodd. I know the saying goes there is no such thing as a dull hill just dull people. If it is true them I must be pretty dull on these uninspiring hills. I may be wrong because Lank Rigg had a large party of walkers sat eating there lunch around the trig & summit cairn, no treasure hunting or photos of the top today!

Highlight of the day, the Isle of Man across the Irish Sea, today was one of those 1 in 50 when you can see it. Unfortunately the camera (or operator?) had a bad day and half my photos where out of focus & blurry!

The gate at the felled Forest Commision Heckbarley plantation...



a few blurry photos later, Grike's summit - not sure where the stones came from???

looking back at Grike from the short climb up Crag Fell...

Crag Fell's summit...

Great Borne & Bowness Knott...

not sure what this cache of water was all about, something to do with recent successful attempt at Joss Naylor's  214 summit time, if so hopefully they have recovered enough to come back & tidy up???

I wonder if it will be replanted???

Lank Rigg from Whoap...

no picture of the trig & cairn, but of Sellafield instead...

the Isle of Man looked very close...

the beginnings of the River Calder...

the Kinniside Stone Circle, of recent construction but still looks atmospheric...

2 comments:

  1. I actually love it around there as I think that's probably about the only (near) wilderness in the Lakes! I once got a bit lost following a track in thick mist from Whoap in the hope of making it to Lank Rigg and the track took me off down the back into nowhere land! I had another go at Lank Rigg on a lovely sunny day instead. Richard still has all these to be dragged around ;-)

    When I was setting off on the misty day towards Grike etc., there was a piper somewhere in the forest (which I presume isn't there any longer) - I found it quite romantic hearing him.

    Have you been up the front of Crag Fell? I quite fancy a look at that sometime...
    Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do admit I'm probably being a little unfair and it is certainly remote by Lakeland standards! The nearby Scalderskew Farm on Ponsonby Fell must feel pretty lonely in winter.

    I've come up the front of Grike following a steep gill with a mine working in just to the west of Crag Farm and remember it being a hard climb - the closeness of the contour lines are correct!! I've never come up direct on Crag Fell but I've followed the Ennerdale Fence down past the old mine workings and contoured below the crags dropping down to Anglers Crag - I remember that being a enjoyable if rocky route, a hard day but I recall it was the height of a great summer and towards the end of a long day!

    Cheers Simon

    ReplyDelete