Sunday 13 July 2014

Bow Fell Summit shared with more than I had bargained...

It was a promising start down Langdale with the last wisps of early morning cloud just licking the summit, as these hills are the most awkward to reach by car from where I live I usually try to grab as many as I can.
Of course we have had several days of clear blue skies so its time for the pesky summit cloud  to return - just in time for my weekend walk!! I'm pretty used to not getting a view from Bow Fell, this is the third no view visit in a row whilst the surrounding peaks have remained clear.

What I wasn't expecting was sharing the summit with six piles of ashes, I'm not sure if it was from one cremation spread out as much as possible or six separate cremations - none the less there was a considerable amount of ash deposited making it impossible to stop for lunch without either me or the dog stepping in some, onward to Esk Pike..

the route leaves the pass...



final wisps of cloud over the Langdale Pikes...

approaching Pike O' Blisco

Pike O' Blisco's summit, cloud lingering over Bow Fell...

Cold Pike, the next of the day...

Coniston Fells over Red Tarn...

Cold Pike's summit (choice of three)...

the first crinkle looking to the next two...

bad step bypassed (the dog doesn't like being hauled up), Crinkle Crags highest point...

descending to Three Tarns, Bow Fell still has more cloud then I would have liked...

looking back to Three Tarns before entering the clag...

The Great Slab...

it took a while to take a shot without getting the remains in...

the mist continued to Esk Pike, at least I only shared this summit with the living...

Allen crags over Esk Hause...

Angle Tarn, of course both Bow Fell & Esk Pike were now clear!!!

Looking down Mickleden from Rosset Pike...

Mickleden at the head of Langdale...

the Langdale Pikes...


2 comments:

  1. LOL! that's awful - 6 piles of them! I've never actually come across one.
    Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've come across a few but never this many at one summit, if my ashes where to spread I think I'd want them somewhere a bit more solitary!
    Cheers Simon

    ReplyDelete