Friday 25 April 2014

In search of rusty metal on Islay & Jura

Sometimes the detail of an OS map brings up those little tantalising things that catch your eye. My other half describes me as 'sad' but I can sit there for hours looking at maps, studying their finest detail. On Jura's Explorer Sheet 355 (its one of those annoying double sided ones!), I noticed roughly a mile North of Feolin Ferry a waterwheel. Intrigued it looked worth a visit, it was also an excuse to stay on Jura for just a little while longer. If you also decide to extend your stay don't expect a 30 foot working wheel, because you will be decidedly disappointed!

While in the search of rusting iron a visit to the wreck of the Wyre Majestic on the Islay Shore of the Sound, just South of the Bunnahabhain Distillery, is well worth a visit.

CalMac's 'Isle of Arran' bound for Colonsay docked at Port Askaig...



while the 'Eilean Dhiura' departs Feolin Ferry...

'Isle of Arran' passes Sgarbh Breac on the Sound of Islay, Wyre Majestic can just be seen...


Inver Cottage...

not the most impressive derelict water wheel!!!

beach & Sgarbh Breac over the Sound...

Wyre Majestic, Beinn an Oir & Beinn a; Chaolais (two of the Paps)...

Wyre Majestic in the Sound of Islay...

2 comments:

  1. I never understand how someone CAN'T amuse themselves for hours on end with a map or road atlas. I've always loved poring over them - I think most walkers enjoy it... I don't mind whether it's somewhere I've been or somewhere I'm due to go...
    Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too :) - My wife & kids think I'm crazy!!

    Cheers Simon

    ReplyDelete