Tuesday 22 April 2014

Beinn an Oir - No view & NO jelly babies!!

My original intention was to walk all three paps, Beinn an Oir, Beinn Shiantaidh & Beinn a Chaolais but my old man decided to accompany me, being in his 70s he informed me he wouldn't manage all three so I decided to climb to the saddle of Imir an Aonaich, where I would 'nip' up & down Beinn Shiantaidh before we both climbed Beinn an Oir. I would use the same method for Beinn a Chaolais - however with all best laid plans & despite a clear start the weather gods played their hand. By the time we reached Loch an t-Siob the cloud was beginning to build and unfortunately Beinn an Oir didn't reveal any views - the wind was brisk but not enough to clear the cloud! I was surprised to come across several ruined huts and a well made track to the summit which I have read where connected with the 1764 experiments on the affect of altitude on the boiling point of water.

The approach from the three arched bridge to Loch an t-Siob is horrendously wet, leaving the path to avoid the bogs just leads to more bogs!!!

A glimpse of Beinn Shiantaidh & the Sub 2000 of Corra Bheinn, clear of cloud from the boggy path...



lots of these & a 6 point stag watched from a safe distance throughout the walk...

Looking back to Loch na Mile...

beginning to cloud up...

stepping stones near the outflow of Loch an t-Siob & Beinn Shiantaidh - just in the clouds...

the old man marches ahead...

Loch an t-Siob...

the cloud briefly passes & this was my intended ascent route of Beinn Shiantaidh - I didn't fancy threading through the out crops in mist & decided to leave it for a clearer day...

the path however was obvious up Beinn an Oir, 1st ruined hut...

volcanic dyke...

2nd ruined hut...

& 3rd ruin, connected with the 1764 experiments???

this unexpected constructed track led from the 3rd hut to the summit...

summit trig & box...

contents of the summit box, sadly no view & to make matters worse the packet of jelly babies was empty...

the cloud has lifted slightly on the descent...

and virtually off Beinn Shiantaidh once below the saddle...

Beinn a Chaolais of course was now clear...

wooden hut & jetty on the shore of Loch an t-Siob...

at least the cloud hadn't blown off Ben an Oir...

hut interior...

another glimpse back the Corbett still with her head in the clouds...

of course Ben Shiantaidh is now clear...

and of course to rub salt in my wounds finally lifting off Beinn an Oir...

4 comments:

  1. I always thought the Paps were horrific - your photos make them look okay - wish I'd been there! Good for your Dad persisting into his 70s anyway. My Dad still used to go up the moor with me until recently - he's in his 80s. Wish my Mum could have kept going though as we were the main 'companions' and went out mostly together :-(
    Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beinn an Oir was fine and the other two didn't look too bad either once they had cleared, the scree looks a bit of a nightmare. Will definitely go back to Jura - my sort of place :) My Dad jokes that he used to carry me up the hills when I was a baby & I have to do the same for him when he can't manage anymore!!
    Cheers Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - he'd best not get fat then! My Dad's starting to put it on now unfortunately - he just doesn't go walking enough as he stays in all the time to look after my mother. She keeps telling him to bugger off out but he won't now :-(

      Delete
  3. Not sure if your Mum & Dad are dog lovers, but a small dog would get your Dad out of the house & your Mum will probably appreciate the half an hour alone ;)

    ReplyDelete