Friday 18 October 2013

Robin Hood & his merry summits


I've slowly been working my way through the Shap Fells and today I planned to merge two of Wainwright Outlier routes into one, AW devotes a chapter each to the Crookdale & Wasdale Horseshoes. With Wasdale Pike omitted the remaining six summits make a more complete horseshoe of Crookdale.

Earlier in September I'd walked the Bannisdale Horseshoe and out of all the Outlying routes this is the one I had been looking forward to the most, unfortunately it hadn't really impressed me - although the poor weather I encountered could have played a part. Feeling uninspired & with this in mind I wasn't looking forward to these and the morning forecast of extensive hill-fog didn't really help my 'flat' feeling.

The official route starts from the A6 near Borrow Bridge but access beside the farm is no longer tolerated so I started from the old road where there is an abundance of parking. With the weather better than forecast and access problems avoided my mood improved and I really enjoyed this foray into the Shap hills. Its quite wet in places so would be ideal left for winter but I managed to finish with dry feet.

Early morning, the climb up High House Bank, two deer disappeared before I could reach to the camera...



Looking over to the Whinash Ridge & down Borrowdale...

Great & Little Yarlside & rainbow...

cairn on High House Bank looking towards the summit...

and looking back to the light show...

descent to Robin Hood, Borrowdale (L) & Crookdale (R), another small herd of deer disappeared...

Robin Hood, a little boggy around here, bellows of rutting stags rose from valley...

looking back to High House Bank...

stone beacon on Robin Hood looking down Borrowdale...

Robin Hood's summit was now engulfed in cloud...

it was starting to clear on Lords Seat's featureless summit...

any aspirations of continuing to Grey Crag where forgotten...

Crookdale...

& Crookdale Fold beside some pleasant cascades...

looking down Crookdale (again) still clearing...

a whiff of cloud on Great Yarlside...

still there on the final approach...

but it had lifted upon my arrival at the summit, Grey Crag was also now clear, no sign of the trig ring...

descending towards Little Yarlside...

wet here too, looking back at Great Yarlside...

Little Yarlside summit 'hole', most likely a small quarry for stone for the wall...

the wet & tussocky route to Whatshaw Common...

beacon on Whatshaw Common looking up Crookdale...

Whatshaw Common's summit...

finally managed to get to the camera in time...

descending to Hause Foot...

No comments:

Post a Comment